Grapefruit Seed Extract for Treatment of Thrush
Grapefruit seed extract can also be used for treating Candida as well. It can be used directly on the nipples and/or orally. If used directly on the nipples, it should be diluted (5 to 15 drops, occasionally up to 25 drops, in 30 ml or 1 ounce of water), applied on the nipples with a Q-tip or cotton ball, allowed to dry, and then covered, sparingly, with the all purpose nipple ointment. By mouth, grapefruit seed extract can be taken as a pill, 250 mg three times a day.
Grapefruit seed extract (ACTIVE INGREDIENT MUST BE “CITRICIDAL”) should be used in conjunction with the APNO (All Purpose Nipple Ointment). Apply the diluted liquid grapefruit seed extract on the nipples, and then follow with the ointment (always after the feeding).
Apply solution directly on the nipples. It does not need to be refrigerated. It may be covered and used until solution is finished.
- Mix very well five to 10 drops in 30 ml (1 ounce) of water (preferably, but not necessarily, distilled).
- Use cotton swab or Q-tip to apply on both nipples and areolas after the feeding.
- Let dry a few seconds, then apply “all purpose nipple ointment”.
- If using Gentian Violet, do not use GSE on that particular feed but use after all other feeds.
- Should be used in conjunction with oral GSE, either tablets, capsules, or liquid extract (see above)
- Use until pain is gone and then wean down slowly over the period of at least a week.
- If pain is not significantly improving after two to three days, increase the dose by 5 drops per 30 ml (ounce) of water. Can continue increasing until 25 drops per 30 ml of water.
- If flaking, drying, or whiteness appears on the skin, substitute vitamin E oil or pure olive oil for APNO 1-3x/day.
- Laundry can be treated as well: add 15-20 drops in the rinse cycle of all wash loads
If not using Gentian Violet, it may be helpful to treat baby with acidophilus by rolling a wet finger in acidophilus powder (break open a capsule), and let baby suck on the finger right before a feeding. Use 2x first day, 2x second day only. Mother may want to ingest Acidophilus as well, 3x/day for 1-2 weeks.
Handout #3b. Treatments for Sore Nipples and Sore Breasts. January 2005.
Written by Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC © 2005.
This handout may be copied and distributed without further permission, on the condition that it is not used in any context in which the WHO code on the marketing of breastmilk substitutes is violated
If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.
Donate online: canadahelps.orgDonate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.
© 2002-2019 Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided on this website is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace, professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any specific questions or concerns about any health issue, you should consult with a qualified healthcare provider.
The AskLenore administration is not affiliated with, nor sponsored by, nor do we sell or receive any commissions or incentives from, any of the products or services that we link to on this website. Therefore, we are not responsible for the accuracy, quality, availability, or suitability of said products or services. You should always do your own research and due diligence before purchasing or using any product or service that we link to on this website.
The views and opinions expressed on the message boards are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of asklenore.info. Any content provided by our users are of their opinion and are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, individual or anyone or anything.